Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Working Girl


I have kept my blog idle for too long and I’m sorry for the lack of update. The two weeks following my Hong Kong trip were painfully uneventful. A combination of lack of people and financial constraints of a college student left me with few options. The sights I have seen and even shopping has become mundane...so I had no other choice but to find a job to fill all the empty time I spent mulling in homesickness. 

Yes, it’s true. I have found myself a part time job – a true marker of adaptation to a new lifestyle, is it not? After being here for only two months, I’m actually shocked to find myself already accustomed to this “new world” of Shanghai that I was once so eager to see. With the arrival of the new UC students last weekend, I can tangibly measure how much my sight has already dulled compared to their new energy and fresh eyes. It’s kind of refreshing to see all the new comers gawk at the families of four crammed onto a moppet or getting excited about Shanghai’s McDonald’s. It reminds me that I am supposed to be in a strange, new place and to appreciate everything I’m experiencing.

But my time of boredom is over because newbies have arrived, school has started, and I am officially part of the Shanghai workforce. My schedule is jam-packed Monday through Sunday and I feel like a new person. Truly! I’m no longer a tourist; I am a working girl who wakes up early to commute to work only to fall asleep on the bus, miss her stop, and get lost after work. True story, but I’ll save it for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment